商用無料の写真検索さん
           


Swansea Tasmania. All Saints Anglican Church built in 1871 and still in use. Services began in 1838 in private houses. : 無料・フリー素材/写真

Swansea Tasmania. All Saints Anglican Church built in 1871 and still in use. Services began in 1838 in private houses. / denisbin
このタグをブログ記事に貼り付けてください。
使用画像:     注:元画像によっては、全ての大きさが同じ場合があります。
あなたのブログで、ぜひこのサービスを紹介してください!(^^
Swansea Tasmania. All Saints Anglican Church built in 1871 and still in use. Services began in 1838 in private houses.

QRコード

ライセンスクリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-改変禁止 2.1
説明Swansea. The small town of Swansea is one of the oldest towns in Australia. The district of Swansea, was established in 1821 on Oyster Bay near Freycinet National Park. The first white settler was retired Lieutenant George Meredith (1777 – 1856) who was a successful English farmer who had retired from the British navy as a lieutenant. He and his wife and family of six children only arrived in Van Diemens Land in March 1821. Shortly afterwards he received a land grant of 2,000 acres from Lieutenant Governor William Sorrell to farm at Oyster Bay in late 1821, along with some other settlers. They charted a boat from Hobart to their destination with cattle and sheep being taken overland. There were whaling stations along this coast and plenty of seals. The Meredith farm named Cambria was on the Meredith River and in the early years it was liable to attack from escaped convicts. In 1825 the homestead was ransacked by convicts and a servant taken and killed whilst Meredith was absent from his family. Meredith was the leader of the district and by 1836 he had built three houses with the last one being a grand house with English gardens. The origins of the town named Waterloo Point date from the Post Office which opened in 1832 and Morris Store which opened in 1833. By 1830 there were 150 free settlers in the district and 170 assigned convicts. The Swansea wattle bark mill for producing tannin was built in 1885 and is now a café and bakery. The official survey of the town was undertaken in 1842 when the name Swansea was adopted and the name Waterloo Point discarded. The early town had a Commissariat Store and military barracks for the officers and convicts before they were assigned to local settlers. All have long since disappeared. The Morris General Store was operated by the Morris family for over 100 years. The store is currently an IGA supermarket but they have free access to their history room. The store’s history goes back to 1833 when John Graham established a timber framed store on the site. The current red brick three storey shop was built in 1838. Some years later it became the Morris Store. The ground floor was a public store, most of the second floor was the family residence and the third floor was the warehouse. Wool and skins were often stored here awaiting export. There was a small shop area on the second floor and this closed in 1929 and the external staircase to it was removed. The original wooden shingle roof was replaced with iron in 1954. The modern supermarket area was added in 2001. One of the grand old houses near Swansea is Kelvedon built in 1830 for Francis and Anna Cotton who were devout Quakers. The house was made of local timber, stone and some expensive brick. Francis Cotton (1800 to 1883) was a builder but in Tasmania he prospered as a sheep farmer. Their house Kelvedon became the second most important Quaker centre in Tasmania. As we drive into to Swansea on left is the Catholic Church (1931) on the highway. It replaced the first church built in 1860. We take the next right into Wellington St and turn right into Bridge St with Schouten house on the corner. Schouten House was built in 1844 as the Swansea Inn. By 1860 it was a private residence. It is heritage listed and now a bed and breakfast establishment in Wellington Street. We go around the block back to the highway and turn right to the town centre. By the Morris Store is the old Commercial Bank of Sydney and views to Freycinet National Park. Local government was introduced to Tasmania in 1856 and Swansea was one of the first regions to have an authorised local council in 1859. The first Anglican vicar was sent to Swansea in 1839 and services began in private houses. A stone schoolroom was used as the Anglican Church from 1845 to 1868 when it became unsafe. Three years later All Saints Anglican Church opened in 1871 in Wellington Street. French Captain Louis Freycinet (1779 to 1841) charted parts of both the gulfs in South Australia, including Moonta Bay in 1803 which he named Baie de Duguesclin. He also charted the coast of Van Diemens Land and the rest of Australia. He was part of the Baudin exploration party. In fact he was the first to publish a complete coastal chart of Australia in 1811 with his naval partner Nicholas Baudin. Between September 1802 and August 1803 Freycinet surveyed the Australian coastline in the schooner Casuarina without Baudin. His charts were published three years before Captain Matthew Finder’s charts were published. Freycinet left his name on geographical features in WA and in Tasmania with the Freycinet Peninsula which is now the Freycinet National Park. He also named some places on the southern side of Kangaroo Island.
撮影日2025-02-16 11:54:03
撮影者denisbin
タグ
撮影地
カメラDSC-HX90V , SONY
露出0.002 sec (1/640)
開放F値f/4.0


(C)名入れギフト.com