Encounter Bay. In Newland Reserve. Pink and grey Australian galahs. : 無料・フリー素材/写真
Encounter Bay. In Newland Reserve. Pink and grey Australian galahs. / denisbin
| ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-改変禁止 2.1 |
|---|---|
| 説明 | Yilki, Encounter Bay and the Newland Settlement.On the 27th April 1838 land had been surveyed and was opened for selection at Encounter Bay. Governor Hindmarsh had pushed for this but had already left the colony by then but through his wife he purchased significant land at Encounter Bay and along the Hindmarsh River. The Reverend Ridgway Newland (1790-1864) selected land and arrived at Yilki in July 1839 to start the first permanent white settlement at Encounter Bay. (White whalers had lived there at summer whaling stations since 1803.) The Ngarrindjeri had lived along this coast for thousands of years. Thirteen others selected land at Encounter Bay but they did nothing with the land at that stage in the late 1830s. Communication with Adelaide was by ship. A road was not opened across the hills to Willunga until 1847. Reverend Newland and his Yilki community consisted of thirty-four people, cows, sheep, bullocks, goats, provisions and tents. Their home was near the Inman River but in the sand hills along the bay towards the Bluff. Newland had purchased two sections of land which was 160 acres. Apart from his wife and nine children the group included his mother-in-law Mrs Keeling, the Protector of Aborigines Dr Matthew Moorhouse and his sister, and Henry Kilnor who was engaged to Moorhouse’s sister, a blacksmith with family, a stone mason with family, a shepherd with family , three single ploughmen and a farm labour and family. By 1841 they had 19 acres planted in wheat, corn, barley, oats and potatoes. By 1850 they had 1,760 acres in crop. Although Newlands crops thrived he had little success with his sheep and cattle. The community thrived and as they accumulated funds his workers took up their own land and established their own properties. All the people in the Newland community were Congregationalists and they erected the first church, called The Tabernacle, in 1846. As settlers took up land in Inman Valley, Bald Hills, and Hindmarsh Valley in the 1850s Newland visited these places to conduct church services. His coach capsized on a trip back to Yilki in 1864 and he was killed at the age of 74. His original workers lent their names to streets around Encounter Bay including Pollard, Battye and Jagger. One of the nearby areas of Victor was originally known as Newlandtown. Newlands influence led to a number of Congregational Churches on the South Coast and inland areas including Congregational churches at Waitpinga, Victor Harbor, Inman Valley, Newlandtown itself, Bald Hills, Point Sturt, Milang, Goolwa etc. The Tabernacle, which is now demolished, is recorded by a memorial tablet in a small park in Tabernacle Street. It was made of limestone with a veranda and held around 30 people. It closed when a grand Congregational Church was opened in Victor Harbor in 1869. Much later a second Congregational Church was built at Yilki in 1919.It was name the Jeffris Memorial church as Mrs Jeffris had donated the land in memory of her husband. This church still stands and became a Uniting Church in 1977. The Newland family has not been forgotten in SA. One son, Simpson Newland went on to become a major pastoralist with stations in NSW and QLD along the Darling and Paroo rivers. He built one of Adelaide’s grand mansions Undelcarra at Burnside which was designed by architect Daniel Garlick. Simpson Newland served in parliament and as a cabinet minister and he pushed for years for the building of a railway to Darwin. He tried to do this privately and was dismayed when the Price Labor government signed the NT back to the Federal government in 1907.One of Simpson Newlands’s son became Sir Henry Simpson Newland , the famed SA surgeon who served in the Australian Imperial Force in Gallipoli and in France. He worked in the Royal Adelaide and Children’s hospitals for many years and founded St. Marks University College and was a founder of the Mutual Hospitals Association in the late 1940s. |
| 撮影日 | 2016-09-12 12:39:24 |
| 撮影者 | denisbin |
| タグ | |
| 撮影地 | |
| カメラ | DSC-HX30V , SONY |
| 露出 | 0.004 sec (1/250) |
| 開放F値 | f/5.8 |
| 焦点距離 | 89 mm |

